Dutch law requires all international students to be properly insured by an internationally recognised insurance agency for the duration of your stay that covers all of the Dutch health care costs.

For a general overview on how it works in the Netherlands, you can refer to this informative information on the study in holland website

What student health insurance do I need?

This depends on your particular situation. Commonly you will fall under one of the below 4 categories:

1. You already have an insurance in your home country

Please check with your current insurance company whether you have a valid insurance that covers you for the duration of your stay in the Netherlands. Please inform yourself about what coverage you have, for example, does it cover: Repatriation, mental health issues, etc.? You want to be prepared for every unforeseen situation. 

EHIC: for EU / EEA nationals only
Are you an EU national? Then you can apply for a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from your own insurance company.

Medical costs that are NOT covered by EHIC are:

  • Physiotherapy
  • Dental care
  • Treatments that can be reasonably postponed until you return to your home country

The Dutch health care provider Zilveren Kruis is responsible for EHIC reimbursements. 

Zilveren Kruis often reimburses your health care bill directly to your caregiver. Sometimes you need to pre-pay the bill yourself. In that case you can send the bill to Zilveren Kruis. Send the original bill, along with a copy of your international insurance certificate and the claim form (available on their website) to: 

Zilveren Kruis 
Groep Buitenlands Recht 
Postbus 650 7300 AR APELDOORN

In most cases it will be wise to add an extra insurance or get a complete package which covers also lost luggage, repatriation, home insurance (in case of fire or burglary), accidents, legal aid and a dentist insurance. For students these packages are not expensive and worth the investment. Check for available student packages. 

2. You do not have any insurance or need extra coverage

You can choose from different insurances for international students staying in the Netherlands. 

  • AON
    The most commonly used insurance provider is AON who offer packages as an addition to your own insurance, complete packages if you’re not yet insured. 
  1. For students that are not yet insured: Complete package (advisable)
  2. For students that are insured at home: Additional package to cover medical care that is not covered by home insurance and more like accidents, home content, repatriation. 
  3. For students that are insured at home: Additional package to cover accidents, home content, repatriation etc. but not medical care that is not covered by home insurance.
  • Loonzorg
    Loonzorg offers 2 different student insurance policies with the difference being the number of maximum treatment or coverage. 
  • Swisscare
    This insurance covers the minimum requirements for covering medical treatments in the Netherlands.
  • Insuretostudy.com is also offer a full insurance student priced package including luggage, health care and dental insurance. 
  • Oominsurance offers a flexible student insurance package where you can choose what you need coverage for. 

3. You have a job and earn a minimum wage in the Netherlands

It’s important to note that if you are planning to take on a job next to your studies, you need to get a Dutch basis insurance which is more expensive than the student insurance packages. It’s wise to check what you need to arrange insurance-wise when you start a job and sign a contract: https://www.studyinholland.nl/plan-your-stay/insurance

Note: You can apply for health care benefit (in Dutch: zorgtoeslag) if you are eligible for a Dutch public health insurance via the Dutch Tax Office (in Dutch: Belastingdienst).
Two important tips:

4. I’m only shortly staying in the Netherlands (less than 3 months)

When temporarily studying in another country, most students make use of the opportunity to travel and become acquainted with new cities and countries. It is important that you have a suitable travel insurance policy to cover the costs of stolen baggage, repatriation etc.