Living in Amsterdam
The demand for student housing in Amsterdam is high. It won’t be easy to find accommodation, however it’s not impossible. On the basis of vision document entitled Studeren in de Topstad (Studying in the Top City), higher educational institutions in Amsterdam (AHK, Rietveld Academie, HvA, InHolland, UvA and VU) have been working with municipalities and housing corporations in order to increase the number of student accommodations. Special attention is also being devoted to international students.
How do I find a room?
- !WOON Various housing corporations offer student housing in Amsterdam. If you have any questions about this, you can contact !WOON
- StudentenWoningWeb Housing corporations (De Key, DUWO and Ymere) with rooms and houses for students place their available accommodation on this website. You pay one-off registration costs of €22.50 and you can subsequently respond to an unlimited number of accommodations available. Ymere (website in Dutch only) also offers the possibility to rent temporary accommodations, which are doing to be demolished or renovated in the future.
- The Student Hotel (TSH): has more than 700 rooms that are rented to both Dutch and international students. The length of study may vary from 1 week to 10 months. Permanent accommodation is not possible. Check in at Amsterdam City or Amsterdam West.
- DUWO is a student housing corporation in the Netherlands with an online platform for studenthousing. This video provides an introduction to the different ways there are to find housing. International students get priority for rooms at Dennenrodepad, Darlingstraat, Opaallaan (in Hoofddorp) and Schoonzichtlaan (in Haarlem) for rooms of which the contract starts in June, July and August.
- The City of Amsterdam has made a housing guide for students. Here you will read how you can find accommodation in Amsterdam, but also a lot of information about what you should look out for.
- At ROOM, student rooms for Amsterdam, Delft, The Hague, Deventer, Leiden, Haarlem and Wageningen are available. Registration is possible from 16 years and older.
- Student Experience offers self-contained apartments with a private kitchen and bathroom in a new modern student residence.
- StayOkay hostel offers rooms for students with rates per month.
- HousingAnywhere offers rooms for students from abroad. You can also temporarily sublet your room here if you go abroad yourself. As a result of the travel restrictions due to the corona pandemic, fewer international students are coming to Amsterdam. HousingAnywhere therefor now also offers rooms for Dutch students. For more information about HousingAnywhere, see the bottom of this page.
For music students
Students from the Conservatorium van Amsterdam can benefit from the accommodation available from the Jan Pietersz. Huis Foundation, an organisation which is especially aimed at creating housing and workspaces for music students (fitted with special sound insulation). The foundation has approximately 350 rooms spread out across the city, including the Medieval Bethaniënklooster(Bethany Convent).
For international students
International students of the AHK can benefit from the offer of 30 student rooms from housing association De Key. Priority is given to 1st year students. The rooms are available for the duration of 1 year. Click here for more information and the registration form.
Subletting or renting rooms during a stay abroad
Students who are going on an exchange or internship/work placement abroad and temporarily want to offer their room to international students, or who want to rent a room themselves, can do that via the website HousingAnywhere.com. Read more about this initiative.