Visa and residence permit procedures

The Amsterdam University of the Arts (AHK) provides visa and residence permit services for students admitted to official AHK programmes. Visa services are operated by AHK Central Student Administration as an intermediate between the applicant and the Netherlands Immigration Office.

If another educational institute has applied for your residence permit and you want to study at the Amsterdam University of the Arts, you are obligated to send us a copy of your residence permit. We will inform the Immigration Office that you made a switch.

Important: the new law requires you to achieve a minimum of 30 study points otherwise the Immigration and Naturalization Service may decide to cancel the residence permit. If you are not achieving 30 study points a year, get in touch with your student counsellor.

Visa services are not required for nationals of a country within the European Economic Area: EU countries, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco and Vatican City. Nationals of these countries do not need a residence permit for study purposes in the Netherlands.

Which nationals need to apply for a residence permit?
Nationals of the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and South Korea require a residence permit (fee € 421) for study purposes in the Netherlands. They do not need an entry visa.

Which nationals need to apply for an entry visa and residence permit first?
Students from all countries not mentioned above need an entry visa and residence permit (fee €421) for study purposes.

How to apply for an entry visa and/or residence permit?
For the handling of visa and residence permit applications, the Amsterdam University of the Arts uses a system called VisaCare. As soon as we receive confirmation that you are admitted (from the faculty, or you could send a proof of your admission to, we will register you in VisaCare. You will receive an email with your account details. As soon as you activate your account, VisaCare will tell you what you need to do.

On this website you can already read which documents you will need for your application, but do not send them to us by email. They must be uploaded in VisaCare.

Preparing your stay
When preparing your stay in the Netherlands, please use Pathfinder for all the relevant information about visa, insurances, residence permits and grants.


Entry visa & residence permit

Further information on the procedure


Residence permit extension

Further information on the procedure